This is one of my favorite Chinese recipes because of the delicious, savory brown sauce. My family has been eating it for over a decade now.
First, cook rice so you’ll end up with at least 6 cups. I like to make mine in the Instant Pot and I make enough for leftovers: 3 c. rice, 4 1/2 c. water, high pressure for 5 minutes and quick release. I consider rice to be an essential part of broccoli beef!
Slice the meat and soak for 15 minutes in the following:
1 1/2 lbs. rump roast or another lean(ish) beef
1 c. water
2 t. baking soda
This will make the meat nice and tender when you cook it! It’s the cheating version of velveting, which is what Chinese restaurants do. (The “real” process is more involved, but this works pretty well too.)
Heat a wok until very hot and saute until tender:
1 1/2 lbs. broccoli florets
Is using fresh broccoli, cover it with a lid to help it steam. Frozen florets will cook a little faster. Remove the broccoli from the pan and let the pan get hot again. Then, drain the meat and saute it with
1 T. minced garlic
until it’s mostly done. Add the broccoli back in along with the sauce ingredients:
1 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. oyster sauce
2 t. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
Stir until the sauce thickens and everything is heated through. Serve broccoli beef over rice.
Find more delicious Chinese recipes here.
One serving includes 1 c. of rice.
Garlicky Chinese Broccoli Beef
- pressure cooker
- wok or large frying pan
- 3 cups rice
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef Rump and sirloin work well.
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Jarred works fine.
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth I use 2 t. of the powder plus water.
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add the rice and water to your pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes with a quick release.3 cups rice, 4 1/2 cups water
- Cut the beef into bite-sized pieces. Soak it in the water and baking soda for 15 minutes. Rinse and drain well.1 1/2 pounds lean beef, 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Heat a wok and saute the broccoli florets until tender. Add a little water and put a lid on them for a few minutes to have them steam a little. Remove the broccoli to a plate.1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
- Heat the wok again and cook the meat with the garlic until it's mostly done.1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Add the broccoli and remaining ingredients into the wok and stir until the sauce thickens and everything is heated through. Serve over rice.1 cup chicken or beef broth, 1/4 cup oyster sauce, 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch