For me, lasagna is all about the cheese. I’m not big on tomatoes, but if there’s enough cheese, it is quite a tasty dish. My mom’s lasagna uses 4 kinds of cheese for the best combination of flavors.
This recipe still makes a lot, but it is actually 1/2 the size of the original! The recipe looks long, but it’s actually pretty easy put together.
Preheat the oven to 375 and spray a 9 X 13 and an 8 X 8 pan.
Cook according to package directions:
1 lb. lasagna noodles
Drain the noodles and cover them with cold water until you are ready to assemble the lasagna. This will prevent them from cooking further and keep you from burning your hands on hot noodles! I was successful in cooking my noodles in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes with a quick release.
In a large pot, cook until browned:
1 lb. Italian sausauge
Mix with the meat:
2 cans/jars of spaghetti sauce (48 oz. total)
Stir all together in a large bowl:
15 oz. ricotta cheese
2 c. cottage cheese
2 c. sour cream
1 lb. mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
Assembling the Lasagna
Now for the fun part: layering! I do the larger pan first and use what’s leftover for the smaller pan, using about 1/2 as much for each layer in that pan. The amounts here will be for the larger pan.
Starting with the bottom, layer as follows:
1/2 c. sauce
Repeat 3 times:
noodles (3 across)
1 c. sauce
1 1/2 c. cheese mixture
Add one more layer of noodles and end with sauce. Repeat for the smaller pan.
Cover both pans with foil and bake at 375 for 1 hour, or until they are very hot and bubbly. Serve the lasagna with steamed veggies, salad, and/or garlic bread.
Find more heavenly, international dishes here.
My Mom’s 4-Cheese Lasagna
- 1 9×13 pan
- 1 8×8 pan
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 cans or jars spaghetti sauce 48 oz.
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese about 4 cups
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and cover them with cold water until you're ready to use them. (Or use the Instant Pot. Cook them for 5 minutes with a quick release.)1 pound lasagna noodles
- Brown the sausage and stir in the spaghetti sauce.1 pound ground Italian sausage, 2 cans or jars spaghetti sauce
- Mix all the cheeses, sour cream, and eggs together in a large bowl.15 ounces ricotta cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese, 2 cups sour cream, 1 pound mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 2 eggs
- Start with a greased 9×13 pan. Layer 1/2 c. sauce. Repeat 3 times: noodles (3 across), 1 cup of sauce, and 1 1/2 cups of cheese mixture. Then, add 1 more layer of noodles and end with sauce. Repeat for the 8×8 pan with 1/2 quantities.
- Cover both pans with foil and bake at 375 for 1 hour. Serve with steamed veggies, salad, and/or garlic bread.