I always had roommates that had leftover bananas, so I decided to make banana bread one day. Even my roommate who hated bananas liked this recipe, so it’s definitely a good one. My brother continued the family tradition when he went to college by baking for his roommates too. I guess you can say no bananas ever go to waste here! I don’t even touch them until they have lots of brown spots. It’s too bad that in 2019 (as I edit this), my kids often eat all the bananas before I have a chance to bake them into something delicious.
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan. In a mixer, cream together:
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
Add and beat until combined:
1 1/2 c. mashed bananas
Add in this order, stirring until just combined:
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
2 c. flour
Optionally, stir in until combined:
3/4 c. chopped walnuts
3/4 c. chocolate chips
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. It should have a beautiful, brown crust. Serve the banana bread warm or cold with butter.
Banana Bread for Banana Haters
- 1 loaf pan
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups bananas mashed, about 3 bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped, optional
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.1/2 cup butter, 1 cup sugar
- Add the eggs one at a time, then the bananas, and beat until combined. Scrape the bowl as needed.2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups bananas
- Add the salt, baking powder, and flour (in that order), stirring until just combined.1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 cups flour
- Stir in the optional nuts and chocolate chips.3/4 cup walnuts, 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. It should have a beautiful, brown crust. Serve the banana bread warm or cold with butter.