This recipe is from my mother-in-law who got it from her neighbors, I believe. Chicken taco soup is so easy to make and so delicious! It is especially great with lots of toppings.
Add all of the following ingredients to a slow cooker or Instant Pot:
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
6 c. chicken broth
*4 cans diced tomatoes (See note below.)
1 c. salsa
2 T. cumin
1 c. chopped cilantro
Cook the soup on low for 8-10 hours. Remove the chicken, shred it, and add it back to the soup.
Cook the soup on high pressure for 30 minutes with a natural release. Shred the chicken and return it to the soup.
Serve the chicken taco soup with tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream.
Find more delicious soup and stew recipes here.
*The original recipe called for 1 can of whole tomatoes and 3 diced. Any variety will work. If you don’t mind the seeds, fresh (homegrown) tomatoes would also be delicious if you get the skins off. That’s a little more work, but the increase in flavor is completely worth it. I never recommend fresh tomatoes from the store. They have very little flavor and a poor texture.
Chicken Taco Soup: Slow Cooker or Instant Pot
- pressure cooker
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 6 cups chicken broth The powder + water works well.
- 4 cans diced tomatoes 60 ounces
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- Slow cooker: add all ingredients and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred the chicken and return it to the soup.2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, 2 cloves garlic, 6 cups chicken broth, 4 cans diced tomatoes, 1 cup salsa, 2 tablespoons cumin, 1 cup cilantro
- Pressure cooker: Cook on high for 30 minutes with a natural release. Shred the chicken and return it to the soup.
- Serve the chicken taco soup with toppings.tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream