I am well aware that there are 2 versions of clam chowder. Having relatives in New England automatically makes me a die-hard New England clam chowder fan. I shun the Manhattan version. I’m just not as excited about tomatoes as I am about a cream-based soup!
Drain the juice into a pot and set aside for now:
2 cans minced clams
Add to the pot with the clam juice:
2 c. potatoes, diced
Add enough water to barely cover the potatoes, bring them to a boil, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
In a separate, smaller pot, melt:
3/4 c. butter
Add to the butter and cook until fragrant and starting to brown:
1 c. onion, diced
1 c. celery, diced
Whisk into the vegetables and butter:
3/4 c. flour
Then, add gradually while stirring to avoid lumps:
4 c. milk
Add the thickened white sauce with vegetables to the larger pot with the cooked potatoes. Also, add the clams you set aside earlier.
Heat the chowder through and season to taste with the following:
Serve the clam chowder with crackers or fresh bread.
Note: Clams come in several different sizes of cans, so one larger can works instead of the two smaller ones.
And a very important question: Oyster crackers taste great with clam chowder, but is that even allowed?
Clam Chowder: New England Style
- 2 cans clams minced
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- Drain the clam juice into a large pot and set the clams aside. Add the potatoes and just enough water to cover them. Boil for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Do not drain.2 cans clams, 2 cups potatoes
- In a separate, smaller pot, melt the butter. Add the vegetables and cook until they're fragrant and starting to brown.3/4 cup butter, 1 cup onion, 1 cup celery
- Whisk in the flour. Add the milk gradually, whisking to avoid lumps. Stir until the sauce thickens.3/4 cup flour, 4 cups milk
- Add the thickened white sauce to the cooked potatoes and clam juice. Heat through. Don't forget the clams!
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar. Serve with crackers or bread.