I grew up on grits, so I was really excited to find this recipe. Grits usually need lots of salt, but the cheese definitely provides that. Though it’s called Southern Country Casserole, I think city-dwellers will like it just fine.
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9 X 13 pan.
Cook on the stove or in the Instant Pot:
4 c. water
1 c. grits
Stovetop: Heat the water to boiling and whisk in the grits. Stir until they start to splatter, then reduce the heat and partially cover, stirring occasionally, until they are thickened (about 10 minutes).
Instant Pot: Pour the water into the pot and whisk the grits in. Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes, then natural release. (It is possible to do a quick release, but the grits tend to come out of the valve and get a little messy.) When you take the lid off, whisk the grits and the liquid on top together. I actually use a potato masher for this step because the grits can sometimes clump together a little bit.
While the grits are cooking, cook until browned:
1 lb. breakfast sausage
Mix all of the following with the grits:
the cooked sausage
2 1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 c. milk
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
Pour the mixture into a 13 X 9 casserole dish and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Serve Southern Country Casserole with a side of fruit.
Find more delicious casserole recipes here.
Southern Country Casserole
- 9×13 pan
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 2 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk whole
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Heat the water to boiling and whisk in the grits. Stir until they start to splatter, then reduce the heat and partially cover, stirring occasionally until they are thickened.4 cups water, 1 cup grits
- Cook the sausage until browned.1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- Mix the sausage and remaining ingredients into the grits. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.2 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, 4 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper