Who doesn’t love apple pie? This recipe is simple and thickens up nicely. I definitely recommend using tart apples for making pie. Sweet ones turn out yummy too, but they don’t have the same depth of flavor.
Preheat the oven to 400 and grease a pie pan.
Mix together in a bowl:
2 c. flour
1 t. salt
2/3 c. oil
1/3 c. water
Divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll them out in between plastic wrap or grocery bags (my personal favorite.) Press one of the crusts into the bottom of the pie pan. Set the other aside for now.
The Apple Filling
Mix everything together in a bowl. If you have an apple peeler/corer/slicer, this will be ridiculously easy.
4-5 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
(I like the mix of brown and white sugar together.)
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 T. cornstarch
Pour the filling into the prepared crust and set the second crust on top. Seal the edges however you’d like and cut a few slits in the top crust.
Baking the Pie
Bake the apple pie at 400 for 45 minutes. Serve it warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream.
Note: You may want to put the pie on a cookie sheet covered in foil, because it might bubble over and make a big mess! The foil will save your cookie sheet from having to be washed. Pie overflow is notoriously sticky and tends to burn in the bottom of the oven. (I wouldn’t know that from experience, though.)
Find more recipes for cake and pies here.
Apple Pie in About One Hour
- pie pan
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 4-5 apples tart, like Granny Smith
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 400 and grease a pie pan.
- Mix the crust ingredients together with a fork. Divide into 2 and roll out. Press 1 crust into the bottom of the pie pan, and set the other aside.2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 2/3 cup oil, 1/3 cup water
The Apple Filling
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. Mix with the sugar and spices.4-5 apples, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust and set the second crust on top. Crimp the edges together. Cut a few slits in the top.
- Bake the pie at 400 for 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream.