These are definitely a meal, not the dessert caramel apple empanadas from Taco Bell. I have tried other dough recipes like pizza or biscuit dough, but nothing compares to the taste of a pie crust even though it’s pretty rich.
Prepare the filling in advance if possible. This will allow for the broth to congeal and stay in the crust instead of leaking out when you put the empanadas together.
Boil, peel and chop using your preferred method (mine is the Instant Pot):
Instant Pot: For the eggs, place on the trivet with 1 c. cold water underneath. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes, then quick release. Set the eggs in ice water immediately and peel/chop when they’re cool. Set aside.
Cook until browned:
1/2 lb. ground beef (I use 80/20 or 85/15).
1 small onion, chopped
Drain the meat/onion mixture and add all of the following:
1/2 t. oregano
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 c. beef broth
1/2 c. green olives, sliced
the chopped, boiled eggs
Refrigerate the filling until the broth congeals. Preheat the oven to 350 unless you plan on using the air fryer.
Meanwhile, make the crust by mixing together in a bowl:
2 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. oil
1 1/4 t. salt
1/4 c. + additional water if needed to make the dough
Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape those pieces into balls. Place one ball on a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap, cover with another piece of wax paper or plastic wrap, and roll it out as thin as possible. Fill the circle with 1/4 c. of the filling, fold the circle in half, and crimp it closed.
Bake the empanadas for 20 minutes at 350 or air fry for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
Find more air fryer recipes here.
Flaky Air Fryer Beef Empanadas
- pressure cooker
- air fryer
- 2 eggs boiled and chopped
- 1/2 pound ground beef 80/20 or 85/15
- 1 onion small, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup green olives sliced
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup water plus additional needed to make the dough
- Boil and chop the eggs. I cook them under pressure for 5 minutes with a quick release, then put them in an ice bath until they're cool enough to peel.2 eggs
- Cook the meat and onion together until browned. Drain.1/2 pound ground beef, 1 onion
- Add the spices, broth, eggs, and olives to the meat/onion mixture. Let the mixture chill in the refrigerator for an hour so the liquid can congeal (and not leak out later).1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup beef broth, 1/2 cup green olives
- Preheat the oven to 350 or use the air fryer (no preheat needed).
- Make the crust by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl with a fork.2 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup oil, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/4 cup water
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll out circles. I do this between pieces of plastic wrap. Fill with 1/4 cup of the chilled filling. Fold the circle in half and crimp it closed.
- Bake the empanadas at 350 for 20 minutes or air fry for 10 minutes at 400.