Cheap, frozen chicken nuggets are okay, but I don’t hear any choirs of angels singing when I eat them. “Real” chicken nuggets taste so much better but also come with a steep price tag. The solution, then, is to make homemade nuggets! The texture of these baked chicken nuggets reminds me a lot of Chick-fil-a nuggets, but they are much cheaper and probably healthier too.
Preheat the oven to 350 and get a cookie sheet. No greasing is necessary.
Chop into 1-inch pieces:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
Set up the dipping stations:
1 small bowl with 1/4 c. mayo
1 small bowl with *1 c. crushed corn flakes, 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. garlic powder, and 1/8 t. pepper
Dip the chicken pieces in the mayo, then the cornflake mixture. Set the pieces on the cookie sheet.
Bake the chicken nuggets for 20 minutes at 350. Test for doneness with a meat thermometer or by cutting a nugget in half.
Serve the baked chicken nuggets with your favorite dipping sauce. A few we like: hot sauce, BBQ sauce, or ranch. One of my kids likes to mix ketchup and ranch together.
*You can also use breadcrumbs or a combination of bread crumbs and cornflakes. The goal is crispiness!
Baked Crispy Chicken Nuggets
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup corn flakes finely crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350. You'll need a cookie sheet, but it doesn't need to be greased.
- Chop the chicken into 1-inch pieces.1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- Set up a bowl with the mayonnaise. Set up another bowl with the other coating ingredients.1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 cup corn flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dip the chicken pieces into the mayonnaise, then the dry coating. Set the pieces on the cookie sheet.
- Bake the chicken nuggets for 20 minutes at 350. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.