I am not a huge fan of salads in general, but I won’t bore you as to why. I think I could write a whole series of posts about why salad bugs me. However, I love this crunchy Chinese cabbage salad because of its texture and great flavor. I’ve been tweaking it over the years to make it more healthy (as a salad should be) without sacrificing any flavor.
Preheat the oven to 350 and put on a cookie sheet:
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1/2 c. sliced almonds
Toast the seeds and nuts for 15 minutes on 350, shaking the pan halfway through. Set the pan aside to cool.
While the seeds/nuts are toasting, prepare the veggies and put them in a large bowl.
1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
1/2 head of lettuce, shredded
1/4 c. minced onion (any kind will do)
Whisk all together in a small bowl, then pour over the veggies:
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. sesame oil
6 T. rice vinegar
2 cloves of minced garlic
Add the seeds/nuts to the salad and mix it up. Serve the crunchy Chinese cabbage salad as a side or take it to a party!
Find more yummy salad recipes here.
If you want to know more about different types of cabbage, check out this post.
Crunchy Chinese Cabbage Salad
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 head green cabbage shredded
- 1/2 head lettuce shredded
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Preheat the oven to 350. Toast the sesame seeds and almonds for 10-15 minutes, shaking once halfway through. Set the pan aside to cool.1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Prepare the veggies and put them in a large bowl.1/2 head green cabbage, 1/2 head lettuce, 1/4 cup onion
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together in small bowl and toss with the veggies, nuts, and seeds.1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 6 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 cloves garlic
- Optionally, make this a heartier dish by adding cooked chicken.