I’ve tried a couple versions of orange chicken now: fried, unfried, and baked. Baked is easy and by far the best tasting, so that’s what I’m sticking to from now on.
Orange Marinade and Sauce
In a small saucepan, heat all together until dissolved:
1 1/2 c. water
2 T. orange juice concentrate
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/3 c. rice vinegar
3 T. soy sauce
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. (1 clove) minced garlic
Chop into 1 inch pieces:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
Marinate the chicken in the sauce for at least an hour.
Breading the Chicken
Heat the oven to 350. Generously grease a cookie sheet with 2 T. oil or melted butter.
Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and set the marinade aside for now.
Dip the chicken pieces into the following flour mixture, coating well:
1/2 c. flour
1 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
Spread the chicken pieces evenly on the pan and bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the sauce/marinade to boiling and thicken with the following:
3 T. cornstarch, thoroughly mixed with 3 T. cold water
Remove the chicken from the oven, flip the pieces over, cover with the sauce, and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
Serve the orange chicken with rice and steamed veggies. We especially like broccoli.
I like to cook my rice in the Instant Pot: 3 c. rice, 4 1/2 c. water, high pressure for 5 minutes, and quick release.
Find more yummy Chinese recipes here.
Orange Chicken (Baked, Not Fried)
- pressure cooker
The Orange Marinade and Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup lemon juice Fresh is better.
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups rice
- 4 1/2 cups water
The Orange Marinade and Sauce
- In a small saucepan, heat all the marinade ingredients together until dissolved.1 1/2 cups water, 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup rice vinegar, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 clove garlic
- Chop the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Marinate it in the sauce for at least 1 hour.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Heat the oven to 350. Grease a cookie sheet with oil or butter.2 tablespoons oil or butter
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and set the marinade aside for now.
- Mix all of the breading ingredients together, then dip the chicken, coating it well. Spread the chicken pieces on the pan and bake for 20 minutes.1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, mix the water and cornstarch together. Heat the marinade to boiling, then whisk in the cornstarch slurry and stir until the sauce thickens.3 tablespoons cornstarch, 3 tablespoons cold water
- Remove the chicken from the oven, flip the pieces over, cover with the sauce, and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes, cook the rice in the pressure cooker on high for 5 minutes with a quick release.3 cups rice, 4 1/2 cups water
- Serve the orange chicken over the rice with steamed veggies. We especially like broccoli.