This recipe for baked beans comes from my husband’s grandma, so it’s his favorite. I modified it to start with dried beans cooked in the Instant Pot.
Cooking Dried Beans
Put into the Instant Pot:
*1/2 lb. white beans (Navy preferred, but others are fine too. See the note below.)
4 c. water
Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes, then natural release. Drain the beans. You should have around 3 cups of cooked beans. You can also use 2 cans of Navy beans, drained, for this recipe.
*What kind of white beans is best for this recipe? Learn more here.
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8 X 8 baking dish.
Mix the beans with the following ingredients and put them in the baking dish:
6 oz. cooked, crumbled bacon
3 T. mustard
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 T. molasses
3 T. dried, chopped onion or 1 T. onion powder
1/2 c. maple syrup
1 t. vinegar
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. water
salt and pepper to taste
Bake for 45 minutes on 350. The beans should be bubbly and starting to get crisp around the edges.
Serve the baked beans with your favorite burgers or other picnic food.
Baked Beans Like Grandma’s
- pressure cooker
- 8×8 pan
- 1/2 pound dried Navy beans or 2 cans, drained
- 4 cups water Omit for canned beans.
- 6 ounces bacon cooked, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion or 1 T. onion powder
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- Pressure cook the beans for 25 minutes with a natural release. Drain.1/2 pound dried Navy beans, 4 cups water
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8×8 pan.
- Mix the beans with the remaining ingredients and put them in the baking dish.6 ounces bacon, 3 tablespoons mustard, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons molasses, 3 tablespoons dried minced onion, 1 teaspoon vinegar, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup water
- Bake the beans at 350 for 45 minutes. They should be bubbly and starting to get crisp around the edges. Season to taste.salt, pepper