Potatoes and eggs is one of my favorite breakfasts either by itself or rolled up in corn or flour tortillas. It’s filling and quite delicious, and it takes about 20 minutes to make, which makes it mostly a weekend breakfast. Here’s the basic version, but we’ve also added chopped up meat, bell peppers, mushrooms, and/or jalapeños in the past. Yum!
Use leftover baked potatoes or bake in the microwave for about 10-12 minutes:
4 medium potatoes, about 6 oz. each (Try to get potatoes that are similar in size so they’re done at the same time!)
Meanwhile, chop 1/2 onion and heat oil over medium-high heat in a cast-iron pan, just enough to coat the bottom (2 T.).
When the pan is heated, let the onion (and any other veggies) start cooking. Peel and chop the potatoes and add to the pan. Sprinkle with any of these:
any of your favorite seasonings
Stir the ingredients briefly to get them coated in oil. Then, let the potatoes and onion cook for at least 10 minutes before stirring them again. It will help them start to brown and get crispy. Continue cooking the potatoes until they are as crispy as you want them (about another 5 minutes). Add the meat if you’re using any and let it brown slightly.
Push the potatoes to the side and scramble:
If using cheese, add it very last and turn off the heat. The cheese will melt nicely without getting too stuck to the bottom of the pan. Just don’t stir it.
As I mentioned before, potatoes and eggs taste great alone or in tortillas. Leftovers also reheat nicely.
Potatoes and Eggs (Breakfast Burritos)
- cast iron skillet
- 4 potatoes about 6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- seasoned salt
- garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cooked ham, bacon, sausage, or kielbasa optional, but delicious
- 4 eggs
- tortillas flour or corn
- Use leftover potatoes or cook potatoes in the microwave for 10-12 minutes. Peel and chop them into bite-sized pieces.4 potatoes
- Heat a cast iron skillet with the oil to medium-high. Once it's hot, add the onion and potatoes. Sprinkle generously with seasonings and stir briefly to coat everything in oil.2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder
- Optional: If using other veggies, add them at the same time as the onions.
- Let the potatoes and onions cook for at least 10 minutes without stirring them. The, use a spatula to flip them over to the other side. Cook for another 5 minutes without stirring.
- Optional: Add the meat and stir until it starts to brown slightly.1/2 cup cooked ham, bacon, sausage, or kielbasa
- Lower the heat to medium. Push the potatoes to the side and scramble the eggs.4 eggs
- Remove the skillet from the heat and mix everything together. Add cheese to the top and cover for a few minutes to help it melt. Serve by itself or rolled up in tortillas with ranch or chipotle mayo.cheese, tortillas, ranch