I have updated this recipe to be more flavorful and easier. Instant Pot French dip sandwiches are an easy meal to prepare for a large group of people! The peppers and onions give them more of a Philly cheesesteak flair.
Heat the Instant Pot on saute until it says “hot”. Sear on each side for 8 minutes:
2 lbs. beef roast cut to a 2″ thickness (I usually use rump or chuck roast.)
Remove the roast from the pot and saute until starting to brown:
1 onion, sliced
Add to the pot and saute for 1 more minute:
1 T. minced garlic
Add all of the following to the pot, making sure to scrape any stuck bits from the bottom (deglazing):
3/4 c. chicken broth
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. fish sauce
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
Cook the meat at high pressure for 45 minutes, then natural release (20-25 minutes). Remove the meat from the pot to shred it.
While the meat is cooking, slice and cook in a frying pan until softened and starting to brown:
2 large onions, sliced
2 red bell peppers, sliced
Prepare the sandwiches by toasting under the broiler:
1 loaf French bread
8 oz. of your favorite white cheese (Provolone, Swiss, etc.)
Layer the meat and veggies on the toasted bread and cut into pieces. Serve by dipping the sandwiches into the broth. I don’t think Instant Pot French dip sandwiches are very French at all, but they are delicious!
Find more Instant Pot recipes here.
Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches
- pressure cooker
- 2 pounds chuck roast 2" thick slices
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 3/4 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce for extra umami
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 onions large, sliced
- 2 bell peppers large, sliced
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 ounces cheese Provolone or Swiss
- Heat the pressure cooker to "hot" on saute mode. Brown the roast for 8 minutes on each side.2 pounds chuck roast
- Remove the roast and saute the onion until it starts to brown. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute.1 onion, 1 tablespoon garlic
- Add the remaining broth ingredients to the pot, making sure to scrape up anything stuck to the bottom. Return the meat to the pot and cook everything at high pressure for 45 minutes with a natural release (about 25 minutes). Remove the meat from the pot to shred it.3/4 cup chicken or beef broth, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- While the meat cooks, cook the veggies through in a skillet.2 onions, 2 bell peppers
- Preheat the broiler.
- Slice the bread and cover with cheese. Toast under the broiler until the cheese starts to slightly brown.1 loaf French bread, 8 ounces cheese
- Layer the meat and veggies on the bread and cut into pieces. Serve by dipping into the broth.