Too many granolas are complicated and full of expensive ingredients. I chose some of the cheapest ingredients to make this simple, tasty granola that doesn’t cost a fortune. I based my recipe for crunchy honey almond granola on the Quaker brand I like from the store.
Preheat the oven to 250 and place a piece of parchment paper or foil on a cookie sheet.
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together:
4 c. oats
1/2 c. wheat germ
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. almonds (sliced or slivered)
1/4 c. oil
Bake at 250 for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Let the granola cool on the cookie sheet. Break it into clusters before storing in an airtight container. I like to eat honey almond granola with slightly thawed frozen fruit (30 seconds in the microwave).
Any kind of nuts will work in this recipe. I’ve used pecans, walnuts, and pistachios along with almonds. The type of almonds you use will change the texture quite a bit, so use what you like. I’ve also used cacao nibs in the place of 1/3 of the nuts, and they taste great. The sweetness of the honey and sugar help balance their bitter flavor.
You can add dried fruit after baking. I like strawberries, mangoes, cherries, and cranberries (though not all together.)
If you eat this granola with yogurt, I recommend unsweetened. I have a couple of posts about yogurt here.
Honey Almond Granola
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups almonds sliced or slivered
- 1/4 cup oil
- Preheat the oven to 250 and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together.4 cups rolled oats, 1/2 cup wheat germ, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 1/2 cups almonds, 1/4 cup oil
- Spread the granola out on the baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes at 250, stirring every 15. Let the granola cool on the baking sheet. Do not stir it when you take it out of the oven.
- Break the granola into clusters before storing it in an airtight container. Serve with milk, yogurt, and/or fruit.