I don’t remember where I found the recipe for wacky cake, but it’s an old one that dates back to the Depression. I like that it’s really easy to mix up and requires only 1 bowl.
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8 X 8 pan or muffin pan. Or, preheat your waffle iron.
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. It’s not necessary to use an electric mixer if you don’t have one.
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. oil
1 c. water
1/4 c. cocoa
1 T. vinegar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cupcakes will take about 20 minutes.
If you use the waffle iron, spray it and pour in the batter. My waffle iron is the Belgian kind, so it takes 3/4 c. The cake will be pretty soft when it’s done, so turn the waffle iron over to dump the cake waffle right onto a plate.
I love this frosting recipe that I got in college from my roommate. It’s so much tastier than the kind from the can!
Melt and stir together in a mixer:
1/4 c. butter
1/3 c. cocoa
Alternately add a little bit of each of the following until you have spreading consistency:
3 T. milk
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
(You may need to add a little extra milk to get the consistency right.)
Stir in and beat until fluffy:
1 t. vanilla
Spread the frosting over the cooled wacky cake.
Wacky Cake (Waffles) With Chocolate Frosting
- waffle iron
- 8×8 pan
Wacky Cake (Waffles)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Wacky Cake (Waffles)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8×8 pan or heat a waffle iron.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup oil, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup cocoa, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Or, spray the waffle iron and pour in the batter. Remove the waffles by tipping the entire iron rather than trying to lift them off. They're softer than regular waffles.
- Melt the butter, let it cool, and stir it with the cocoa in a mixer.1/4 cup butter, 1/3 cup cocoa
- Alternately add the milk and powdered sugar, beating until you have a spreadable consistency.3 tablespoons milk, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Add the vanilla and beat until fluffy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.1 teaspoon vanilla