I used to make chiles rellenos the hard way with frying and baking, but I much prefer air frying for both of those steps now.
Preheat the oven to broil if using. If using the air fryer, no preheat necessary. Deseed and slice down the middle:
4 large peppers (Anaheim or poblano work great.)
Broil the peppers on both sides until they start to blacken and blister. This will take a few minutes on each side, depending on your oven. Or, use the air fryer at 400 degrees for 5 minutes on each side (no preheat needed). Set the peppers aside when they are done. If you used the oven, preheat it to 400.
Prepare the salsa chicken filling by cooking together:
1 lb. chicken breasts
1 c. salsa
I use the Instant Pot, but the slow cooker works too if you plan ahead (4 hours on high, 6-8 on low). Put the chicken breasts on the bottom of the pot, top with the salsa, and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release and shred the chicken.
Stuff the chicken into the peppers and top with
Cheddar cheese (about 4 oz. total)
Bake the peppers at 400 for 30 minutes or use the air fryer at 400 for 10 minutes. We like to serve them with cilantro lime rice and corn.
Find more heavenly, international dishes here.
Chiles Rellenos With Salsa Chicken
- pressure cooker
- air fryer
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to broil or use the air fryer (no preheat needed). Deseed and slice the peppers down the middle. Broil on both sides until they blacken and blister. Or, air fry at 400 degrees for 5 minutes on each side.4 poblano peppers
- Put the chicken in the bottom of the pressure cooker with the salsa on top. Cook on high for 10 minutes with a quick release. Shred the chicken and mix the salsa in well. If you're using the oven, preheat it to 400 degrees.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, 1 cup salsa
- Stuff the chicken into the peppers and top with cheese. Air fry on 400 for 10 minutes or bake at 400 for 30.4 ounces Cheddar cheese