I have made many oven-baked fries in my day, but many of them were disappointing in flavor. They were either undercooked, burned on the edges, or completely stuck to the pan by the time I took them out. Also, who has an hour just to make a side?
Enter the air fryer. There are many things it does well, but I think these fries might be one of my favorite uses for it. As long as the air fryer isn’t overcrowded, you will have delicious, crispy, much healthier fries in a fraction of the time as the oven.
Peel (if desired) and cut into 1/2″ fries:
1 1/2 lb. potatoes or sweet potatoes
Toss in a bowl, making sure to coat well:
1 T. oil (any neutral flavor)
Place the fries in a single layer in the air fryer and cook for 15 minutes on 400 degrees. (My air fryer has a preset for fries.) Open the air fryer at the 8 minute mark and stir the fries to make sure none are sticking. When the 15 minutes are up, dump the fries on a plate and season to taste with salt or other spices immediately.
Another way I like to season the fries is with popcorn seasonings (like Kernel Season’s). They have salt included already and are very powdery so they stick well. For the sweet potato fries, the kettle corn seasoning is particularly good!
We like to serve these with burgers.
Air Fryer Fries or Sweet Potato Fries
- air fryer
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes or sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil any neutral flavor
- Peel (if desired) and cut the potatoes into 1/2" fries.1 1/2 pounds potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Toss the fries with oil, making sure to coat them well.1 tablespoon oil
- Place the fries in the air fryer and cook for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Shake them halfway through. When the time is up, dump the fries out and season with salt immediately.salt