It’s not often that I find a delicious, simple, and healthy recipe, but this is one of those! I know that lentil tacos are not a traditional food, but I think their texture and taste work really well.
You almost don’t need a recipe because of how easy these tacos are.
I use the Instant Pot to cook my lentils, but the stovetop would be fine. Put into the pot:
1/2 lb. lentils
4 c. water
Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release.
Drain and season the lentils with all of the following:
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. garlic powder
(These spices are actually from a recipe for taco seasoning. You can make a huge batch and store in a jar to use for later. It takes 1 T. of seasoning for 1 pound of meat. Add the seasoning after the meat is cooked along with a little water, then simmer for another 10 minutes.)
Assemble the lentil tacos on warmed corn tortillas with any of the following:
Find more delicious, Mexican-inspired recipes here.
Quick and Easy Lentil Tacos (Instant Pot)
- pressure cooker
- 1/2 pound lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 corn tortillas
- sour cream
- Cook the lentils in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes with a quick release.1/2 pound lentils, 4 cups water
- Drain and season the lentils.1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Warm the corn tortillas in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes in between paper towels. Keep them wrapped up so they stay moist and don't crack.10 corn tortillas
- Assemble the tacos one at a time with any desired toppings.cheese, lettuce, olives, salsa, sour cream, tomatoes