I’d never tried Thai yellow curry before making it myself, but let me tell you: it’s absolutely delicious! It’s the most mild and sweet of the curries I’ve made, but it’s definitely not lacking in flavor. If you haven’t tried curry because of the heat, I recommend starting with this one.
If you have never made Thai curry, go to the Asian store or Amazon first to get the best curry paste. I strongly recommend the Mae Ploy brand.
The Yellow Curry
Bake, peel, cut in cubes, and set aside:
1 lb. chicken breast or thigh (bite-sized chunks)
4 carrots (slices)
1 medium onion (chopped)
Cook the onions and carrots for a few minutes in a nonstick pan/wok. Add and stir until dissolved:
a few tablespoons of coconut milk
2 T. yellow curry paste (Mae Ploy brand)
Stir until the paste has dissolved. Add the following and stir:
the cut chicken breast
4 T. brown sugar or coconut sugar
3 T. fish sauce
1/2 t. lime juice
2 cans of coconut milk
When the chicken is cooked through, add and heat:
Serve over rice.
I make mine in the Instant Pot: 3 c. rice, 4 1/2 c. water, high pressure for 5 minutes, and quick release. This recipe is for regular rice. To make jasmine rice, check out this article.
Find more heavenly, international dishes here.
Thai Yellow Curry With Chicken
- pressure cooker
The Yellow Curry
- 2 potatoes
- 4 carrots sliced
- 1 onion medium, chopped
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste Mae Ploy
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, bite-sized
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 3 cups rice
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Bake, peel, and cut the potatoes into cubes. Set aside.2 potatoes
- In a large skillet or wok, saute the carrots and onions until starting to soften.4 carrots, 1 onion
- Add the yellow curry paste with a few tablespoons of coconut milk. Stir until the paste has dissolved.2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
- Add the remaining curry ingredients (except potatoes) and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, 2 cans coconut milk, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons fish sauce, 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- Add the potatoes and heat through. Serve over rice.
- Cook the rice in the pressure cooker for 5 minutes with a quick release.3 cups rice, 4 1/2 cups water