The method to make good hash browns is pretty simple. I love them for any meal of the day!
Use one medium potato per person. Shred the potatoes (scrubbed, skins on). Then, fill a bowl with water and swirl the potatoes around to wash off the starch. Drain and repeat two more times. The water should no longer be cloudy.
Heat several pans to medium, depending on how many potatoes you’re using. Pat the potatoes dry, and spread a thin layer in each pan with a thin coating of oil.
Set a timer for 10 minutes and walk away.
Flip the potatoes. They should be sticking together pretty well, almost like a pancake. Cook for another 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper (or other seasonings if desired.)
Preheat the waffle iron and spray it with oil. Add as many shredded potatoes as you can fit while still closing the waffle iron. Set a timer for 15 minutes. The potatoes should be sticking together really well and very crispy. Season with salt and pepper (or other seasonings if desired.)
If you’ve ever been to Waffle House, you can order something called hash browns “all the way”. These are the toppings you’ll need:
We also like to eat hash browns with eggs. They look like a big, sloppy mess, but they are so delicious.
Find more yummy breakfast recipes here.
Hash Browns Cooked 2 Ways
- waffle iron
The Hash Browns
- 1 potato 6-8 ounces
- 2 teaspoons oil
- onions chopped, sauteed
- ham chopped
- tomatoes diced
- jalapeno peppers pickled, sliced
- mushrooms sliced, sauteed
- sausage gravy
- eggs cooked however you want
- Scrub the potato and shred it with the skin on.1 potato
- Fill a bowl with water and and swirl the potatoes around to wash off the starch. Drain and repeat two more times, or until the water runs clear.
- On the stovetop, heat a large pan to medium with the oil. Pat the potatoes dry and spread a thin layer of them in the pan. Cook for 10 minutes without stirring, then flip them over like a pancake and cook for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. You may need more than one pan.2 teaspoons oil, salt, pepper
- Preheat the waffle iron and spray it with oil. Add as many shredded potatoes as you can fit while still closing the waffle iron. Set a timer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top hash browns with all of your favorite things, the more, the better!onions, cheese, ham, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, chili, sausage gravy, eggs