Salsa and chicken are a match made in heaven, I think. When used as a filling for taquitos with potatoes, it gets even better.
If using the oven, preheat to 400. If using the air fryer, no need to preheat! Cook and shred:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Instant Pot: Cook the chicken at high pressure for 10 minutes with 1 c. water, then quick release. Drain before shredding.
While the chicken is cooking, peel, dice, and boil for 15 minutes:
1 lb. potatoes
Drain and mash with the following:
1/2 c. sour cream
salt to taste (I used about 1/2 t.)
1/2 t. garlic powder
Mix with the chicken and
1 c. salsa (Make sure it’s not too watery.)
Taste and add more salt if needed.
Heat between damp paper towels:
30 corn tortillas (10 at a time)
Fill the corn tortillas with about 2 T. of the chicken mixture and roll them up. I used a disher (cookie scoop) for this.
Arrange the taquitos on a cookie sheet and spray with oil. Bake for 20 minutes at 400, flip them over, spray them again, and bake for 10-15 more minutes, until they are crispy.
Air fryer: You will need to work in batches, but they only take 6 minutes at 400 degrees.
Serve the taquitos with shredded lettuce, crumbled Cotija cheese, and sour cream. (Mexican sour cream is especially good because it pours like a sauce.)
Find more air fryer recipes here.
Salsa, Chicken, and Potato Taquitos
- pressure cooker
- air fryer
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup salsa
- 30 corn tortillas
- lettuce shredded
- Cotija cheese crumbled
- sour cream
- Cook and shred the chicken. In the pressure cooker, cook it on the trivet with a cup of water, 10 minutes at high pressure with quick release.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, 1 cup water
- Boil the potatoes until they're fork-tender. Mash them with the sour cream and spices.1 pound potatoes, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix the shredded chicken, mashed potatoes, and salsa together. Warm the corn tortillas 10 at a time in the microwave between damp paper towels.1 cup salsa, 30 corn tortillas
- If using the oven, preheat it to 400.
- Fill the corn tortillas with 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture and roll them up. Arrange them on a cookie sheet for baking. Spray them with oil and bake them for 20 minutes at 400. Flip them over and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until they're crispy. They take 6 minutes in the air fryer at 400 degrees.
- Garnish the taquitos with your favorite toppings.lettuce, Cotija cheese, sour cream