If you’re looking for something healthy, this isn’t it. If you want real Mexican food, this isn’t it either. Though unhealthy, this Tex-Mex classic is the creamiest, most decadent way to eat a tortilla, except for maybe deep-fried and stuffed with Nutella. I kid you not. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. My mom always made creamy chicken enchiladas with mushroom soup, so I adapted her recipe to be completely from scratch. If you don’t like mushrooms, you can leave them out. Also, we can’t be friends. (Kidding. Mostly.)
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9 X 13 pan.
Use precooked or cook in the Instant Pot:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or 2 c. cooked and shredded
I put the chicken in the Instant Pot with 1 1/2 c. water and cooked it at high pressure for 10 minutes. I had to go somewhere, so I did a natural release, but I think a quick release is fine for shredded meat. Shred the chicken when it’s done and reserve the broth for the sauce.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce. Melt and and whisk together:
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
Whisk in gradually to avoid lumps:
3/4 c. chicken broth reserved from earlier
3/4 c. milk
Continue stirring until thickened and season with the following:
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/4 t. parsley
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
Remove the thickened sauce from the heat and whisk until smooth:
1 c. sour cream
If you are using mushrooms, you can add them at this point. I used 1 can of drained mushrooms, but 1/2 lb. of fresh, sauteed mushrooms would be excellent too.
Heat in the microwave until pliable:
6 flour tortillas, taco size
Fill the tortillas with all of the following:
1/4 c. Cheddar cheese (1 1/2 c. total)
2 T. salsa (3/4 c. total)
Spread 1 c. of the sauce on the bottom of the pan. Roll up the tortillas and line them up in the pan, then cover with the rest of the sauce. Bake them at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and slightly browned around the edges.
Creamy chicken enchiladas are especially great when topped with fresh veggies like shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and green onions.
Find more Instant Pot recipes here.
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (Gringo Enchiladas)
- pressure cooker
- 9×13 pan
The Chicken and Sauce
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces mushrooms drained or sauteed
- 6 flour tortillas taco size
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup salsa
The Chicken and Sauce
- Cook and shred the chicken. In the pressure cooker, add 1 cup of water and cook for 10 minutes with a quick release. Set the broth aside.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour.1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup flour
- Whisk in the reserved chicken broth and milk, adding gradually to avoid lumps.3/4 cup chicken broth, 3/4 cup milk
- Stir the sauce until thickened and add the seasonings and sour cream. Remove it from the heat and set it aside.1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon parsley, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 cup sour cream
- Optionally, add mushrooms to the sauce.8 ounces mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease the 9×13 pan. Heat the flour tortillas until they're pliable.6 flour tortillas
- Spread 1 c. of the sauce on the bottom of the pan. Fill the tortillas with the shredded chicken, cheese (1/4 c. each), and salsa (2 T. each).1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup salsa
- Roll up the tortillas and line them up in the pan, then cover with the rest of the sauce.
- Bake them at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and slightly browned around the edges.
- Top with fresh veggies like shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and green onions.