I haven’t been to Olive Garden many times because of where I live, but I love this soup. It’s the best use for kale, hands down. If you think you hate kale, try it in zuppa Toscana and you might just change your mind.
Cook together and drain on paper towels:
1/2 lb. ground Italian sausage
a large onion, chopped
1 T. minced garlic
Cook in the same pot:
6 oz. bacon, chopped
Drain the bacon pieces on paper towels and return the sausage and onion mixture to the pot with the bacon.
Add all of the following to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender:
2 lbs. potatoes, sliced thin
8 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. basil
1/2 t. rosemary
1/4 t. fennel seeds
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
Add to the broth and cook until bright green:
4 c. chopped kale
Stir in until heated through:
1 c. heavy cream
Serve the zuppa Toscana with your favorite crusty bread and/or with Parmesan on top. I like this bread to serve with the soup!
Find more recipes for soups and stews here. It’s nice to have a variety when the winter is long and cold! Maybe it isn’t where you live, you lucky person.
Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden Copycat)
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage ground
- 1 onion large, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 6 ounces bacon chopped
- 2 pounds potatoes thinly sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth I use powder + water.
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chopped kale 1 bunch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cook the sausage, onion, and garlic together and drain on paper towels. In the same pot, cook the bacon pieces. Drain the bacon and return the sausage and onion mixture to the pot.1/2 pound Italian sausage, 1 onion, 1 tablespoon garlic, 6 ounces bacon
- Add the potatoes, broth, and spices and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.2 pounds potatoes, 8 cups chicken broth, 1/2 teaspoon basil, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add the kale and cook until it turns bright green. Stir in the heavy cream and heat through. Serve with your favorite crusty bread.4 cups chopped kale, 1 cup heavy cream