I’ve always loved soft pretzels dipped in nacho cheese. The best part about making pretzels at home is that you can have all the cheese you want instead of the tiny cup they give you at the mall. Also, it’s really fun to make interesting shapes with the dough!
Preheat the oven to 475 and grease a cookie sheet. Sprinkle some kosher salt over the cookie sheet as well.
In a mixing bowl, add in this order:
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 T. yeast
1/3 c. brown sugar
Stir until the ingredients are combined, then add and stir:
5 c. flour
Knead the dough until it’s stretchy and smooth. It shouldn’t be sticky!
On the stovetop, heat to boiling:
6 c. water
6 T. baking soda
Pull off golf-ball sized pieces of dough and make pretzels in whatever shapes you’d like. Boil each pretzel for 30 seconds, then remove it with a slotted spoon onto the prepared cookie sheet.
Brush over the pretzels:
Sprinkle more kosher salt over the pretzels and bake them for 8 minutes at 475.
Serve the soft pretzels with nacho cheese sauce or as is.
Find more recipes for breads here. Some are with yeast while others are quick.
Soft Pretzels (Just Like the Mall)
- 1 1/2 cups water warm
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 5 cups flour
- 6 cups water
- 6 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 egg white
- kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 475 and grease a cookie sheet. Sprinkle kosher salt over the sheet.kosher salt
- In a mixing bowl, add the water, yeast, and brown sugar and stir them together.1 1/2 cups water, 1 tablespoon yeast, 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Add the flour and stir until the dough pulls away from the bowl. Add a little more flour if it's sticky. Knead the dough until it's stretchy and smooth.5 cups flour
- On the stovetop, heat the water and baking soda to a boil.6 cups water, 6 tablespoons baking soda
- Pull off golf-ball sized pieces of dough and make pretzels in whatever shapes you’d like. Boil each pretzel for 30 seconds, then remove it with a slotted spoon onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Brush egg white over the pretzels and sprinkle them with more kosher salt. Bake them at 475 for 8 minutes.1 egg white
- Serve the pretzels with mustard, cheese, or alone.