I adapted this recipe from the Pioneer Woman. This tomato soup is not only easy to make; it’s also really quick and tastes a thousand times better than anything from a can. The chunks of tomato complement the cream and basil so perfectly that I don’t feel like I want a sandwich on the side for fear that I’ll mess up the wonderful taste already in my mouth.
Saute until starting to brown slightly:
4 T. butter (Melt first.)
1 onion, chopped
Add to the pot:
2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz. each)
3 c. tomato sauce
3 c. chicken broth (I use water and the powder.)
6 T. sugar
3/4 ounce fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade). I tried dried and it wasn’t quite the same. The fresh basil is completely worth it, even if it costs 2 bucks for a little package. I use scissors to cut it up easily.
1/2 t. black pepper
Heat the soup to a boil, then turn it off. Add and stir until combined:
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
Enjoy this delicious, creamy tomato soup with grilled cheese (classic) or just by itself. It’s that delicious!
Find more recipes for soups and stews here.
Creamy Tomato Soup With Basil
- 4 tablespoons butter 1/2 stick
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cans diced tomatoes 14.5 ounces each
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 ounce fresh basil thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- In a large pot, melt the butter and saute the onion until it starts to brown slightly.4 tablespoons butter, 1 onion
- Add all but the cream to the pot. Heat the soup to a boil, then turn it off.2 cans diced tomatoes, 3 cups tomato sauce, 3 cups chicken broth, 6 tablespoons sugar, 3/4 ounce fresh basil, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the cream and stir to combine. Serve the soup with grilled cheese (or not!)1 1/2 cups heavy cream