I came up with this pattern because I couldn’t find a pattern like my daughter’s adorable dress from Justice. I have sewn enough stuff from online tutorials that I know how important it is to have lots of pictures, so I made sure to take one each step of the way. This ruffled hanky dress is so cute on my 18 inch doll!
- remnant of stretchy knit fabric with good drape
- matching thread
- 1/4″ elastic
- ballpoint sewing needle (highly recommended)
All seams are about 3/8″ unless otherwise noted. Since this is a stretchy fabric, sizing is a little more forgiving.
First, start by getting the pattern here and cutting out the pieces. You will end up with 6 pieces total.
2. With the right sides together, sew the front and back bodice pieces together at the sides. Sorry my sewing is a little crooked.
3. Fold the arm openings over and sew.
4. With the right sides together, sew the ruffle pieces together at the short ends.
5. Hem the ruffle by folding it up once. (I love knits for this reason: much easier hems!)
6. Turn the bodice and ruffle so the right sides are out, then sew the ruffle to the bodice, lining up the side seams. You will have a raw edge on top.
7. Create a casing on the ruffle by folding the raw edge over 1/2″ and sewing almost all the way around. Leave a small opening in the back, insert 10″ of 1/4″ elastic, sew the elastic together, and sew up the opening. Some of the casing will have 2 layers (where the ruffle and bodice are attached) and some will only have 1 (where the ruffle extends beyond the bodice).
8. Sew the skirt pieces together at the sides.
9. Hem the skirt by folding up once and pivoting at the corners.
10. With the right sides together, attach the skirt to the bodice.
11. Cut a piece of 1/4″ elastic the size of your doll’s waist. (My doll’s waist measures 10″. AG dolls are a little bigger.) Sew the elastic together so it makes a circle. Turn the dress inside out and sew the elastic onto the seam where the bodice and skirt meet, pressing the seam toward the skirt.
12. Finished! Dress up your doll with a belt (or not).
Looking for more ideas for your 18 inch doll? See my post here for tried-and-true patterns.