I made a couple of versions of chicken cordon bleu casserole before settling on this one. The one I made with pasta was way too cheesy, and the one without pasta or rice was too goopy. This one is just right!
Heat the Instant Pot or a pot on the stove until it’s very hot, and saute the following until starting to brown slightly (but isn’t cooked through yet):
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 t. garlic powder
Add to the Instant Pot or pot:
3 c. rice
4 1/2 c. chicken broth
Cook the rice and chicken until it’s tender. In the Instant Pot, it takes 5 minutes at high pressure with a quick release.
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9 X 13 pan. Stir into the rice and chicken:
1/2 lb. ham, diced
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
1 c. Cheddar cheese
1/2 c. mayo
2 small cans or the homemade equivalent of cream of chicken soup
1 T. Dijon mustard
Put the casserole into the prepared dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes – 1 hour, depending on how crispy you want the top to be. Chicken cordon bleu casserole is delicious with a side of broccoli or salad. It’s also great as leftovers!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- pressure cooker
- 9×13 pan
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups rice
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound ham diced
- 1 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Heat the pressure cooker on "Saute" mode and partially cook the chicken pieces sprinkled with garlic powder.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add the rice and broth to the pot. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes with a quick release.3 cups rice, 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the cooked chicken and rice. Put the casserole into the prepared baking dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or longer for crispy edges. Serve with your favorite veggies.1/2 pound ham, 1 cup Swiss cheese, 1 cup Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 cans cream of chicken soup, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard