This curry is loosely based on Indian food, so if you’re a purist, it may not be for you. However, to anyone who loves delicious food, this is your recipe! Creamy chicken almond curry over fluffy rice makes a delicious meal for a cool day. Some of my picky kids even ate it!
I adapted this recipe from one I found online, but I changed it a lot to make it quicker, simpler, and more suited to my taste and pantry.
Start by making the sauce. Some recipes mentioned blending almonds in the food processor, but when I tried that, I ended up with chunks in my curry that tasted like uncooked pieces of rice. Blending with the liquid ingredients makes a much smoother sauce.
Blend together until completely smooth:
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 c. tomato sauce
1/4 c. almonds
Heat a pot and cook the sauce for 15 minutes, being careful not to splatter it everywhere. (Oops.) A lid would be great!
Meanwhile, start cooking rice. I always make mine in the Instant Pot: 3 c. rice, 4 1/2 c. water, high pressure for 5 minutes, and quick release.
Add to the sauce:
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast or thighs, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/2 T. brown sugar
1 T. curry powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 1/2 t. freshly grated ginger
1/2 c. coconut milk
3/4 c. plain yogurt (1 small container)
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through (about 15 minutes). Serve the chicken almond curry over rice. A serving includes 1 c. of cooked rice.
Chicken Almond Curry (Chicken Korma)
- pressure cooker
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 3 cups rice
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger freshly grated
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- Blend the sauce ingredients together until completely smooth. Pour the sauce into a pot and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.1 onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, 1/4 cup almonds
- Cook the rice in the pressure cooker for 5 minutes with a quick release.3 cups rice, 4 1/2 cups water
- Add the remaining ingredients to the sauce and simmer for another 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice.1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 3/4 cup plain yogurt