Ice cream roll cake is a family favorite, especially for birthdays. It’s very easy to make, and you probably have all the ingredients already.
Start by preheating the oven to 400 and preparing a 10×15 (half sheet) baking pan. Spray it with cooking spray, put down wax paper, and spray it again.
Making the Cake
Beat until soft peaks form:
4 egg whites
Pour in slowly and beat until you have stiff peaks:
3/4 c. sugar
In a separate bowl, beat together and then fold into the egg whites:
4 egg yolks
1 t. vanilla
Sift and fold into the wet ingredients:
½ c. flour
1/3 c. cocoa
¼ t. baking soda
¼ t. salt
Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees on the top rack of the oven.
Assembling the Cake
When the cake has cooled, trim off any crunchy edges and remove it from the wax paper onto a dish towel dusted with powdered sugar. Sprinkle more powdered sugar over the cake and roll it up in the dish towel. (I call this the practice roll. :))
Spread ice cream (vanilla or mint chip recommended) onto the unrolled cake. I use 3 c. (half of a 1.5 qt. carton). I scoop it out in thin sheets so I don’t have to spread it out much. If you have a box that opens all the way, you could even cut the ice cream into sheets. When there are empty spaces, I use my hands to spread the ice cream out better.
Roll the cake using the dish towel and wrap it up in foil or plastic wrap before freezing. Serve ice cream roll cake with hot fudge sauce (strongly recommended!)
Find more cake recipes here.
Ice Cream Roll Cake (a 2-in-1 Dessert)
- 10×15 baking sheet half sheet
- wax paper
- dish towel
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
- 3 cups ice cream vanilla or mint chip
- Preheat the oven to 400 and grease the baking sheet. Line it with wax paper and grease the wax paper too.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Pour the sugar in slowly and beat until you have stiff peaks.4 egg whites, 3/4 cup sugar
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and vanilla together. Fold in the egg whites.4 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift the dry ingredients and fold them into the wet ingredients.1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cake for 10-12 minutes at 400 on the top rack of the oven.
- When the cake has cooled, trim off any crunchy edges and remove it from the wax paper onto a dish towel dusted with powdered sugar. Sprinkle more powdered sugar over the cake and roll it up in the dish towel.powdered sugar
- Spread ice cream onto the unrolled cake.3 cups ice cream