This recipe for coconut pound cake is from James’s Grandma Lee, and it’s delicious by itself or as the base for strawberry shortcake. Preheat the oven to 325 and grease a tube pan. (For high altitude adjustments, see the note at the end.)
1 stick butter
2/3 c. shortening (or more butter)
2 c. sugar
Add one at a time and beat until incorporated:
1 1/2 t. coconut extract
In a separate bowl, mix together:
3 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt (Reduce to 1/4 t. if using all butter.)
1 c. shredded coconut
Alternately add the dry ingredients and milk to the mixer, stirring on low and scraping down the sides as needed.
1 c. milk
Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan and bake at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve the coconut pound cake as is or with strawberries and whipped cream.
High altitude (5,000-6,500 feet): Reduce the sugar by 1/4 c., add 3 T. of milk, add 3 T. flour, and reduce the baking powder to 1/2 t. and the baking soda to 1/4 t. Also, bake at 350 instead of 325 and decrease the time to 1 hour. You can find more info on high altitude baking here.
Find more yummy cake recipes here.
Grandma’s Coconut Pound Cake
- tube pan
- 1 stick butter 1/4 pound
- 2/3 cup shortening or more butter
- 2 cups sugar High altitude: decrease to 1 3/4 cups.
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups flour High altitude: add 3 tablespoons.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder High altitude: decrease to 1/2 teaspoon.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda High altitude: decrease to 1/4 teaspoon.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Reduce to 1/4 teaspoon if using butter.
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup milk High altitude: add 3 tablespoons.
- Grease a tube pan and preheat the oven to 325. (High altitude: 350)
- Cream the butter, shortening (if using), and sugar.1 stick butter, 2/3 cup shortening, 2 cups sugar
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated. Stir in the extract.4 eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup flaked coconut
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and milk to the mixer, scraping the sides as needed.1 cup milk
- Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan and bake at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. (High altitude: Bake at 350 for 1 hour.)
- Let the cake cool. Serve as is or with strawberries and whipped cream.