This recipe was originally a slow cooker recipe that used canned cream of chicken soup and whole chicken breasts. I thought the soup was a little bland and the chicken overcooked, so I tweaked the recipe to improve those things since the overall flavor was pretty good. Swiss, chicken, and stuffing casserole is both hearty and delicious enough to feed my family of 7 with some leftovers.
If you’ve never made the homemade version of cream of chicken soup, don’t worry. You probably have all the ingredients you need in your kitchen already. For this recipe, taking an extra 5 minutes to make the sauce pays off when it comes to the final flavor. (Note that this sauce has more butter than a typical “cream of chicken” recipe. The original recipe called for additional butter along with the soup, so I added it here for ease.)
Melt in a saucepan:
1/3 c. butter
Whisk till smooth and stir for a few minutes until it smells nutty:
1/4 c. flour
Whisk in gradually to avoid lumps:
3/4 c. chicken broth (The yellow powder + water works fine.)
3/4 c. milk
Whisk until thickened and season, stirring well:
1/4 t. each of garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, and salt
1/8 t. pepper
Set the sauce aside for now.
Cooking the Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan.
Layer in the pan:
3-4 chicken breasts, cut up into bite-sized pieces (1 1/2 – 2 lbs.)
8 oz. sliced or grated Swiss cheese
6 oz. pkg. chicken stuffing mix, sprinkled over the top
Cover the pan with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Serve Swiss, chicken, and stuffing casserole over potatoes. I made 10 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes (about 3 lbs.) in the Instant Pot, and that was perfect. The flavors remind me a lot of Thanksgiving but with far less work. It’s also great with rice!
Find more delicious main dishes here.
Swiss, Chicken, and Stuffing Casserole
- pressure cooker
- 9×13 pan
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk whole
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese sliced or grated
- 6 ounces chicken stuffing mix small box
- cooked potatoes or rice
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour until smooth, the add the broth and milk gradually, whisking to avoid lumps.1/3 cup butter, 1/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup chicken broth, 3/4 cup milk
- Continue whisking the sauce until it thickens. Add the seasonings. Set the sauce aside.1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Layer the chicken pieces on the bottom of the pan, followed by the cheese, sauce, and stuffing mix. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes.1 1/2-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, 6 ounces chicken stuffing mix, 8 ounces Swiss cheese
- Serve over cooked potatoes or rice.cooked potatoes or rice