The only flavor better than chocolate is dark chocolate, and my family agrees. (Too bad. It means my dark chocolate stash disappears because everyone loves it!) This ice cream is a dark chocolate lover’s dream, both rich and silky smooth.
In a large pot, bring to a simmer:
2 1/4 c. whole milk
2 1/4 c. heavy cream
In a mixer, combine:
1 1/8 c. sugar
1 1/8 c. Dutch process cocoa (Important! Natural cocoa doesn’t give as good of a flavor here. Hershey’s Special Dark is now 100% Dutch process and you can find it at the regular grocery store.)
2 egg yolks
To temper the egg mixture, mix slowly while slowly adding several ladles of the hot dairy. Add back to the pot:
the tempered egg mixture
12 oz. bittersweet chocolate (I think I used a bag of semisweet chocolate chips. It worked great and was dark enough.)
Cook over medium until the mixture is slightly thickened. Strain (optional) and pour the mixture in a bowl. Stir in
2 t. vanilla (Omit for the mint Oreo variation.)
Once it’s reached room temperature, chill the mixture in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Churn until you reach soft-serve consistency. You can eat dark chocolate ice cream immediately or freeze it to a harder consistency for a few hours.
5 minutes before churning is done, add
1 c. chopped brownies (Gooey ones work especially well here.)
Instead of vanilla, use
1 t. peppermint extract
5 minutes before churning is done, add and mix thoroughly:
12 mint Oreos, crushed
Freeze until hard so the cookies can soften. The dark chocolate ice cream will stay luxuriously smooth, even when frozen solid.
Find more delicious ice cream recipes here.
Dark Chocolate Ice Cream (And Variations)
- ice cream churn
- 2 1/4 cups milk whole
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 1 1/8 cups Dutch process cocoa Hershey's Special Dark
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 12 ounces semi or bittersweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons vanilla Omit for mint Oreo variation.
- 1 cup brownies chopped, gooey if possible
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 12 mint Oreos
- In a large pot, bring the milk and cream to a simmer.2 1/4 cups milk, 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- In a mixer, combine the sugar, cocoa, eggs, and yolks. To temper the egg mixture, mix slowly while slowly adding several ladles of the hot dairy.1 1/8 cups sugar, 1 1/8 cups Dutch process cocoa, 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks
- Add the tempered egg mixture back to the pot. Add the chocolate and stir over medium heat until the mixture is slightly thickened.12 ounces semi or bittersweet chocolate
- Pour the mixture in a bowl and add the vanilla (omit for mint version). Once it’s reached room temperature, chill the mixture in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Churn until you reach soft-serve consistency. Add mix-ins as directed.2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 minutes before churning is done, add the chopped brownies. Eat as soft-serve or freeze for 4 hours for harder ice cream.1 cup brownies
- Instead of vanilla, use peppermint extract. 5 minutes before churning is done, add the Oreos. Freeze until hard so the cookies can soften.1 teaspoon peppermint extract, 12 mint Oreos